Latest Cases
Motor Vehicle Accident - Trump Lawyers
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-745,bridge-core-1.0.5,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,qode-page-loading-effect-enabled,,qode-title-hidden,qode_grid_1400,side_area_uncovered_from_content,footer_responsive_adv,hide_top_bar_on_mobile_header,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-18.1,qode-theme-trump lawyers,disabled_footer_bottom,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.6.0,vc_responsive


If you have been injured in a motor vehicle
accident and it was not your fault,
you are entitled to claim compensation for
your injuries and any other loss you suffer.

You are entitled to claim compensation regardless of whether you were a driver, passenger or even a pedestrian as long as the accident was not caused completely by your own negligence.


If you were going to or from work at the time of the accident, it is also possible to lodge a claim for workers compensation.

If you have suffered a car accident injury that was someone
else’s fault, you may have several options available to you to
be compensated in NSW.

Compulsory Third Party (CTP)

The first step for any car accident claims is to make a third party insurance claim. Every motor vehicle owner in Australia has CTP insurance included in their car registration costs.

Common law action

Under the common law you may have the right to sue someone if their actions or inactions contributed to your injury. In some instances your case my go to court or it may be settled outside of court.

Trump Lawyers will get you the compensation you deserve.

If you believe you may have a motor vehicle claim our personal injury lawyers can help you



Accidents prior to 1 December 2017

It is important that you know that anyone injured in a motor vehicle accident before the introduction of the new scheme, that is prior to 1 December 2017, which will be discussed below, will still continue to have entitlements in accordance with the legislation that applied at the time of the accident.


For example, if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident before 1 December 2017, we can still assist you with your claim and the old legislation will apply.

Accidents following 1 December 2017

You may be able to claim TPD compensation if you have a serious injury or illness and are unable to do your job or other work that you are qualified for and are unlikely to be able to return to work. This will depend on the training, qualifications and experience that you have. This means you may still be able to do some types of work, but they are not related to the work that you were doing and are qualified to do. You can make a claim as soon as you are unable to work.

Generally, you are also required to be under 65 years of age.

What injuries does TPD insurance cover?

On 1 December 2017, changes were made to motor vehicle legislation and the Motor Accidents Injuries Act 2017 (NSW) was introduced which overrides the compulsory third party motor accidents scheme within the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 (NSW).


Firstly, after an accident, an injured party had 6 months to lodge the claim form on the relevant CTP Insurer. However, under the new Act, a claim for statutory benefits must be made within 3 months after the date of the accident. Also under the new Act, if a claim for statutory benefits is not made within 28 days after the date of the accident, these weekly payments will not be payable in respect for any period before the claim is made.[1] For example, if you serve the claim form on the CTP Insurer within 2 months, then you will not be paid statutory benefits for the 2 months that you did not lodge the form.


If a claim is not made within this period, a full and satisfactory explanation for the delay must be provided and either the claim is made within 3 years after the date of the accident, or the claim is in respect of the death of a person or injury resulting in more than 10% Whole Person Impairment (‘WPI’).[2] The claim being made within 3 years is different to lodging the claim form.

[1] Motor Accident Injuries Act 2017 (NSW) s 6.13.

[2] Ibid.

Definition of Whole Person Impairment (‘WPI’)

Whole Person Impairment refers to your degree of disability, indicated as a percentage. This exists to provide compensation for any body part, system or function that has permanently impaired you as a whole person.

Statutory Benefits

One of the most important changes following the NSW amendments is the introduction of statutory benefits available to most injured people in a motor vehicle accident, no matter who is at fault, for a period of 6 months. If proven reasonable and necessary, these benefits include:


  1. Weekly income payments if you are unable to work
  2. Medical and treatment expenses; and
  3. Attendant care on a commercial basis


This is to ensure that injured people are treated quickly and effectively, no matter what position they were in during the accident.


Claimants with minor injuries, which is defined under the Motor Vehicle Injuries Act 2017 (NSW) as soft-tissue injuries or minor psychological or psychiatric injury, or those who caused the accident by their own negligence or recklessness are limited to only 6 months of weekly payments of these statutory benefits.

What happens after the 6 months are over?

After the 6 month period of receiving these statutory benefits, the CTP Insurer will make a decision as to whether the injuries are significant enough to continue with further treatment and compensation benefits. For your information, a CTP Insurer is a ‘Compulsory Third Party’ Insurance such as AAMI, Allianz, GIO etc.


You can receive up to 2 years of weekly payments if you are assessed as suffering up to 10% WPI. The assessment as to whether there is a permanent impairment of more than 10% is either agreed with the Insurer, or if not agreed, is made by a medical assessor appointed by the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (‘SIRA’). The 2 year weekly payments may also be extended if you are pursuing a “damages” claim, which will be discussed below.

Services you can claim compensation for

As part of your compensation claim you are entitled to claim for any or all of the following:


  • Loss of wages or income;
  • Compensation for the unpaid care and assistance received from family members or professionals;
  • Medical expenses including but not limited to medical treatment, doctors or specialist visits/consultations, hospital and surgery fees etc. Medical expenses are available for life for those who are not at fault and have more than just a minor injury;
  • Rehabilitation costs including but not limited to physiotherapy, psychotherapy or exercised-based treatment such as psychotherapy;
  • Paid care which can include cleaning, gardening, nursing, car maintenance and service;
  • Legal costs.

Type of Injuries you are able to claim for

Injuries and disabilities sustained following a motor vehicle accident most commonly include but are not limited to:


  • Brain Injuries
  • Head Injuries
  • Spinal Injuries
  • Psychological Injuries (diagnosed post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety disorders, depression)
  • Scarring
  • Fractures
  • Whiplash
  • Broken bones
  • Dislocations
  • Aggravations of pre-existing injuries

How long would does it take?

It can take a long time for claims to be investigated and assessed, sometimes up to 12 months, especially if your injuries need to stabilise first. Talk to us to find out more about how long it will take for your claim to be processed, whether we can help you get your claim fast-tracked and what you can do in the meanwhile.

Who will pay for your claim?

In most cases, the CTP Insurer of the driver that caused the accident will pay the compensation. It is not the driver who pays as they are covered by that CTP Insurance. We will directly deal with that Insurance and correspond with them throughout your claim.

Time Limits

Since the introduction of the new CTP Scheme, there are strict time limitations for making motor vehicle accident claims. Claimants now have 3 months from the date of accident to lodge a claim form on the CTP Insurer.


You should lodge your Personal Injury Claim Form within 28 days to ensure that you receive weekly payments from the date of the accident. If you lodge the form after 28 days, your weekly benefits become payable from the date of lodging your claim rather than the date of accident. You can find the necessary form and further information here.

Personal injury & compensation lawyers

At Trump Lawyers, we support the rights of everyday
Australians with expert legal advice, negotiation and
litigation services

No win, no fee*

Our team is experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients and supporting them, often on a no win, no fee basis.

What to expect

Our personal injury and compensation lawyers are dedicated to protecting the rights and entitlements of you and your family.

Get back what you deserve.

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We are a team of industry experts.

A few words from our clients.

Simple Steps to Get Compensation


Get in touch with us


We prepare your case & negotiate


Get the compensation you deserve


Pay us when you win


1000+ Cases

We are winning

10+ Millions

In compensations

10+ Years

We are experienced

Get a free claims assessment today

Free initial

Over 99% success rate


We’ll cover your costs

Get started

For friendly, obligation – free advice on your claim.

    One of our personal injury lawyers will review your case and respond with clear, actionable advice.

    Remember – No Win, No Fee